History of the Parish
In 1882 the parish of Rathgar was formed from Rathmines. Rathgar then included Ranelagh and Milltown. In 1906 Fr. Thomas Hogan came from Dundrum Parish to Edenvale Road, where the presbytery was and the parish of Cullenswood was formed to include Ranelagh and Milltown. When the present Church was completed in 1914 the Parish became known as Beechwood Avenue Parish and included Milltown. In 1974 Milltown became a parish of its own from Beechwood Avenue Parish. Harry Clarke studios Dublin installed the stained glass windows.
In 2014 we celebrated our centenary.
History of the Church Structure
The Church of the Holy Name was formally opened on 28 June 1914. The final form of the church as it was built was cruciform.
The priest who delivered the sermon at the opening ceremony said that the building of the church was “one more striking testimony of the faith of Jesus Christ that was still living and throbbing in the hearts of mankind.”
The church was built partly with Wicklow granite, and partly with granite from south County Dublin. The columns supporting the main roof, and dividing the naive from the aisles and transepts have circular shafts of polished red granite, probably from quarries at Peterhead in Aberdeenshire in Scotland. Woodblock floors are used throughout in the main body of the church. The floor in the sanctuary is mosaic tiling, and marble flooring is used in what is now the mortuary chapel.
Prior to opening in 1914- a smaller church existed on the site from 1906- the parish then being a chapel of ease to Rathgar and known as Cullenswood. A priest lived on Edenvale road from that time as priest in charge until it was established as Beechwood Avenue Parish. The present church is relatively untouched architecturally since its opening with the exception of the necessary adjustments for inclusive liturgy following the Second Vatican Council.
Windows in the Church are derived from the Harry Clarke Studio and Martins of Dublin who employed Matt Talbot made the seating in the Church.
(Ref: Above taken from the book “Church of the Holy Name, Beechwood Avenue, Ranelagh, Dublin – History and Guide” by John W. de Courcy and Sheila de Courcey, a recommended history of the church and Parish.)